Sunday, March 25, 2018

My Candid Conversations with Extremely Online Folks Who Suffer From Internet Broken Brain

 
Ashley Feinberg, Krang T. Nelson, and more weigh in on content addiction.
If you have trouble reading this message, view it in a browser.
 
Esquire
Style     Culture     Politics
 
My Candid Conversations with Extremely Online Folks Who Suffer From Internet Broken Brain
 
Twitter broke my brain. I'm not alone. New research from Pew found that 77 percent of Americans go online daily, but 26 percent claimed to be online "almost constantly." Reading this brought me back to one day a few months ago, when I went outside for a cigarette, bringing my phone and cocktail with me. After a couple minutes of scrolling, whatever timer in my brain that governs my subconscious behavior went off, and I got up to go back inside, still holding an unlit cigarette in my hand. My addiction to Twitter had overridden my addiction to nicotine. That's probably not good! I thought. Naturally, I tweeted about it.

Much like psychologists are supposed to avoid armchair diagnoses, it's unethical to project Internet Broken Brain onto someone you don't know personally, but ... it is similar to the scumbag's sixth sense. A real scumbag can parachute into any town or any situation and easily sniff out the guy holding drugs. I spent last week wandering around the internet in search of, well, people like me. They weren't hard to find. They're right in our face every minute of the day.
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Pinterest
From Cooking Steaks to Interviewing the President: The Evolution of Anthony Bourdain
 
The man behind Kitchen Confidential, Parts Unknown, and the long line outside that restaurant you've been meaning to try has been flexing his influence for nearly two decades.
 
Share on Facebook I Survived Olive Garden's Meatball Pizza Bowl. This Is My Story. Share on Twitter I Survived Olive Garden's Meatball Pizza Bowl. This Is My Story. Share on Pinterest
Peppermint Is Taking on a New Fight for the Trans Community
 
"You would think the LGBT+ community is very open-minded, but unfortunately, there's discrimination."
 
Share on Facebook Wendy's Dropped a Mixtape Share on Twitter Wendy's Dropped a Mixtape Share on Pinterest
 
Facebook and Democracy Aren't Compatible. Here's How to Fix That.
 
We shouldn't kill Facebook, but we can make demands.
 
Share on Facebook Paul McCartney Paid Tribute to John Lennon at NYC's March For Our Lives Share on Twitter Paul McCartney Paid Tribute to John Lennon at NYC's March For Our Lives Share on Pinterest
Every Wes Anderson Movie, Ranked Worst to Best
 
It's a difficult task for a director who doesn't have a bad movie.
 
Share on Facebook 'Family Guy' Reveals What Stewie's Voice Actually Sounds Like Share on Twitter 'Family Guy' Reveals What Stewie's Voice Actually Sounds Like Share on Pinterest
Questlove Wants You to Start Listening—I Mean Really Listening—Again
 
The musician, writer, and entrepreneur explains his new guide to living creatively and how no pursuit is really normal.
 
Share on Facebook Here Are All the Details (So Far) About James Comey's Memoir Share on Twitter Here Are All the Details (So Far) About James Comey's Memoir Share on Pinterest
 
 
 
Unsubscribe • Privacy Policy
 
esquire.com
©2018 Hearst Communications Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Hearst Email Privacy, 300 W 57th St., Fl. 19 (sta 1-1), New York, NY 10019
 
 
                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment