Sunday, July 01, 2018

Snake Stories

 
 
Read an exclusive excerpt from Lauren Groff's new book, Florida.
[ view in browser.   add esquire@newsletter.esquire.com to your address book ]  
 
 
Esquire
 
Sunday Reads
 
 
 
 
FOLLOW US
 
 
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Instagram You Tube Google Plus
 
 
Esquire Fiction: 'Snake Stories' by Lauren Groff
 
On the day I found the girl, the robins were migrating and the crape myrtles flashed with red.

Clouds rested their bellies atop the buildings. I went out for my run fast, because I knew rain was coming, and for a long time I have been sure that I will die one day by lightning strike. I have known this since the day when I was running across the parking lot at my older son's Montessori preschool and I leapt up the wooden steps to the door and turned around and saw a lightning bolt crash and sizzle across the slick wet blacktop where I'd just been. I turned back when the rain crashed down that day, and made the shadows of the woods on both sides boil. There was a shortcut behind the bed-and-breakfast district, a narrow alley with overgrown rosebushes that snatch at your clothes. I didn't see the girl until the last minute, when I had to jump her outstretched legs, and came down slantwise on the cinders, and hit my hip and shoulder and knew immediately that they were bleeding. I rolled over, and crawled back to the girl. She stared at me darkly, and twitched her legs. She was alive, then.

READ MORE
 
MORE FROM ESQUIRE


 
Esquire
 
Mike Colter Threw the Jab That's Changing the Superhero Genre
 
The star explains Marvel's Luke Cage Season Two's shocking ending, and how the show and Black Panther are leading Marvel's future. Read On
 
 
 
Esquire
 
Baked Crispix Is the Most Addicting Snack to Ever Exist
 
Forget homemade Chex Mix. This is the perfect food. Read On
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Esquire
 
Is the Future of Star Wars Really as Grim as It Seems?
 
After Solo, the narrative seems pretty bad right now. Read On
 
 
 
Esquire
 
Socks (Yes, Socks) Are the Secret to Cool-as-Hell Summer Style
 
Here are five pairs to try right now. Read On
 
 
 
Esquire
 
The 25 Most Anticipated Movies of Fall 2018
 
Between the typical Oscar bait and end-of-the-year blockbusters, there will be a lot to see in theaters this fall. Read On
 
 
 
 
 
 
Unsubscribe •  Privacy Notice
 
esquire.com
©2018 Hearst Communications Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Hearst Email Privacy, 300 W 57th St., Fl. 19 (sta 1-1), New York, NY 10019
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment