You can’t go wrong with denim. Or, can you? With Levi’s, the brand can be confusing if you’re not familiar with the various numbering and sub-label systems. Let us help—and get the right pair below. —Madison Vain, executive editor.
|
|
|
|
Consider us your sage on this denim-purchasing journey
|
Denim is and always will be the uniform. I already put myself out on the Internet as a Wrangler Cowboy Cut guy. But truthfully, I respect any man's convictions. If I were at all interested in politics, I'd campaign on some sort of National Jeans Day, Levi’s Day, or something. I would use it to give the country a three-day weekend, instant jump in approval ratings. I’d also make July 20, a holiday—we went to the moon, and that’s worth a three-day weekend.
Anyway, back to pants. My boss wears Buck Mason selvedge jeans. I have a friend that wears vintage Levi's 501's. I love them. My wife wears a pair of orange tab Levi's bell-bottoms I bought for her at a flea market, and they look great. There are my various pairs of Wranglers in various states of disrepair. Point is, there are plenty of ways to wear jeans and plenty of jeans to wear. But to the uninitiated, shopping Levi's is confusing if you don't know what all the numbers and sub-labels mean. And as the company has cut more and more corners, more and more fits suck, honestly. But I'm here to be your guide and show you through the entire Levi's jeans catalog; these are the good ones.
|
|
|
|
When Christopher Nolan began work on his adaption of The Odyssey, he turned to a source he felt could best help him capture the Greek poem for a 21st-century audience: a modern translation by University of Pennsylvania classics professor Emily Wilson. The director praised her work in an interview with Empire magazine, and Wilson later told Esquire that she was excited to see the film because themes of time, memory, “and a man on a quest to get back to a beloved woman” are “Odyssey themes but also Nolan themes.” It seemed like a perfect fit: Two minds (three, if you count Homer), coming together in harmony to make a summer blockbuster for the ages.
But after Wilson saw the film, the professor tore it to shreds. In a review for the London Review of Books, she wrote that she “would be ashamed to have written any part of this script.” Ouch.
|
|
|
|
“Having a guitar is like having a key to the world.” This is what Glen Hansard told me, sitting on the beach in Santa Monica many, many years ago. It was only one part of a bigger philosophy that guided who he was, and who he became. At the end of this tribute, you’ll see where he puts a fine point on the lesson, but before that I want to tell the full story of how he learned it.
As a journalist, I followed the John Carney-directed movie Once all the way from its Sundance roots to its indie blockbuster rollout, and onward to the Oscars, where it won the best song award for “Falling Slowly.” We had many interviews over that time, and when I learned today that Hansard had died at the age of fifty-six in a motorcycle crash, I felt my heart break. I went back to look at our talk on the beach from long ago, which broke it all over again.
|
|
|
|
|
No comments:
Post a Comment