Thursday, August 13, 2026
|
|
|
|
A lot of men have a hard time managing a romantic relationship. Now imagine being in a romantic relationship with two people. Would one get jealous of the other? How do dates work? And what happens if a couple within that throuple wants to take things to the next level? Do you all get married, or does one person get broken up with? Esquire contributor Rosael Torres-David talked to a man who found himself the center of a throuple. It was… complicated. Check out the story below. —Chris Hatler, deputy editor
|
|
|
|
As if things weren’t complicated enough, both women were my employees.
|
Looking back, I have to be completely honest about how we started. I was a successful business owner in my 40s. She was a 23-year-old hostess. That kind of age and power gap creates an inherent instability, a skewed foundation that I didn’t fully acknowledge at the time. I wanted to protect her, but I see now how overwhelming that dynamic must have been for a young woman trying to find her footing while dating her boss.
At first, I never looked at her as dating material. But one slow night, I gave her a ride home and suddenly felt a profound impulse to kiss her. We ended up dating on and off for 11 years. I tried to break it off a few times because she was struggling deeply with her mental health—eventually diagnosed as a form of bipolar disorder—and had left college. But she never wanted to part ways, so for long stretches, we simply lived together almost like roommates.
Then, I noticed Margot.
|
|
|
|
Step onto pretty much any city sidewalk around the globe right now and you’ll notice it—provided you’ve got your eyes trained downward. From derbies to loafers to boots, guys have made a huge return to the kind of “proper” footwear that was relatively rare just a half decade ago. Sneakers, once inescapable, seem to have taken a step out of the spotlight. But reports of their death are, to borrow a much-loved misquotation, greatly exaggerated. Sneakers are still here, still thriving. They’ve just grown up.
Case in point: Prada’s new Court model, a sleek and streamlined take on the classic tennis shoes we all know and love. It’s a far cry from the hugely hyped, candy-colored kicks that once dominated the landscape, available in a quartet of chilled-out hues like “Coffee” and “Chalk White.” And it was just what I needed in order to break out of my recent rotation of Birkenstocks and Blundstones and get some sneakers back into the mix, so I got a pair in dark brown and gave them a thorough tryout.
|
|
|
|
It’s about 8:30 a.m. in Australia, where Ahmed is away from his London home filming The Big Fix opposite Mark Wahlberg, a movie based on the story of a real FIFA agent who uncovered a match-fixing conspiracy in the early aughts. The Aussie leviathan is a welcome diversion but not the first during our hour-and-a-half Zoom together. There’s a very serious coffee delivery (“Australians do not mess around with their coffee, man”), several conversations with his young son (“He’s excited that I’m not working,” Ahmed explains, muting himself each time), and his wife, the novelist Fatima Farheen Mirza, asking for a charger (“Hi! So sorry to interrupt!”).
We’re here to talk about the Alejandro Iñárritu film Digger, a political comedy in which Ahmed will star alongside a prosthetically potbellied Tom Cruise. It follows an oil tycoon (Cruise) who causes an environmental disaster (timely!) then must shovel his way out of it. Digger, out October 2, seems engineered to battle Christopher Nolan’s The Odyssey for just about every major award this fall. But when I meet Ahmed in June, he doesn’t want to spoil anything about the movie. Even when I try to do some digging myself.
|
|
|
|
|
No comments:
Post a Comment