Friday, September 04, 2026
|
|
|
|
Are we really recommending a list of movies about work to watch on your long holiday weekend? Yes, we absolutely are. 9 to 5, Office Space, Clockwatchers—a little on the nose, sure—but they're all great films to watch on Labor Day weekend. Check out the rest below. —Brady Langmann, senior entertainment editor
|
|
|
|
Leave your office space and kick back from your 9 to 5 by watching Office Space and 9 to 5.
|
One of the best lines in 9 to 5 occurs when Dolly Parton, as secretary Doralee Reynolds, tells her corrupt boss that she carries a gun in her purse. “Up to now, I've been forgiving and forgetting because of the way I was brought up,” she says. “But I'll tell you one thing: If you ever say another word about me or make another indecent proposal, I'm gonna get that gun of mine and I'm gonna change you from a rooster to a hen with one shot!”
Now, I’m not advocating that Labor Day is about threatening your boss with a gun. But during the one day on the calendar when workers finally get to lift up their feet and enjoy a day off for once, you’re allowed to fantasize about whatever you want. And if you’re looking for a way to pass the time with a good film, well, we found nine Labor Day movies below about workers’ rights that just might make you feel like you’re not the only one clocking in day in and day out.
|
|
|
|
Miles Davis had a knack for more than music. Alongside the sharp tailoring and ludicrous cars, the jazz musician was regularly seen sporting a Breitling Navitimer ref. 806 Mk5—an unusual choice in an era when pilot's watches were typically worn by people whose day jobs involved, you know, flying airplanes.
Now, to mark the centenary of Davis’s birth, Breitling has created a watch based on his own. The appropriately named Navitimer B09 Chronograph 41 “Tribute to Miles Davis” ($8,900) is limited to 500 pieces and borrows faithfully from that mid-1960s reference he wore.
|
|
|
|
I'm a uniform dresser. That’s my life. I used to fight it because I didn’t want to concede to dressing like every other kid in my Georgia town. But growing up for me was realizing there’s nothing wrong with regressing, nothing wrong with dressing like your dad. Just because I wear the same boots, same jeans, same polo every day doesn’t mean I’m adopting a Steve Jobs 100 of the same black turtleneck asceticism, nor does it mean I look like I’m on the SEC fraternity guy to Sea Island dad pipeline. Instead, it means that I’ve developed blind loyalty for the brands that fit said uniform.
The cowboy boots are Lucchese. The jeans are Wrangler. The jean jacket is RRL. The polos are Lacoste. But the polos found a challenger when Hanover came across my desk. The brand’s raison d’être—to “make everyday essentials ... produced in Los Angeles with nothing priced over $300”—piqued my interest. But what got me really interested was seeing that the piqué polo is only $110, exactly on par with the two big-name brands with recognizable horse or crocodile left chest logos. And once I held the shirt, wore it, I was sold.
|
|
|
|
|
No comments:
Post a Comment